Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream (Dairy Free)
I never thought of ice cream as a health food before but now I do since I make my own. I start with a dairy free base of coconut milk, but only use the cream that rises to the top, then I add lots and lots of egg yolks, yes egg yolks since I feel they are nutritious and the extra fat adds to the creaminess of the ice cream and then I add sweetness and flavour. For this ice cream making adventure I modelled my ice cream after my favourite pie, lemon meringue pie, thus creating lemon meringue pie ice cream, mmmmmMMMmmm.
Bowls for Ice Cream
I tried hard to get a picture of the meringue layers but sadly I couldn’t achieve it in time before the ice cream became ice cream soup. Plus this is finally a homemade ice cream recipe that makes use of the leftover egg whites (bonus!).
Lemon Meringue Pie Ice Cream
- 4 egg whites (save the egg yolks for the ice cream)
- 1 tsp of cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- *Make this recipe before making the ice cream so it has time to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Add the raw honey and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Bake in a dish for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
- Allow it to cool and then add it in layers to the ice cream recipe below.
- 4 egg yolks (save the egg whites for the meringue)
- 2 cups of coconut cream, which is the cream that rises to the top in 2 cans of coconut milk. (Place your coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours to make this happen)
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, (which is 2 lemons)
- add the zest of both lemons
- 2 1/2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Mix the ingredients together and pour into an ice cream maker.
- Follow the directions for the ice cream maker.
- When the ice cream is done churning layer it in a container with a layer of ice cream, then a layer of meringue, then ice cream etc.
- When you are ready to eat it, take the ice cream out of the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before scooping. The ice cream is not soft enough to scoop immediately.
This recipe makes enough ice cream for a 1 litre container.