Joel's Autumn Soup
Ready in about 1 hr. 15 min.
Makes about 8 cups
1 cup water 2 (13.75) cans chicken broth
1 unpeeled butternut squash black pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil 3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 large onion (white or yellow), chopped 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1 pound sausage (turkey or pork) casings removed 1-2 cups chopped broccoli
½ cup heavy cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour 1 cup water into 9x13 baking dish.
2. Cut butternut squash in half. Remove seeds. Place cut side down into baking dish.
3. Bake squash in preheated oven until squash is easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the sausage; cook until crumbly and evenly browned. Drain any excess fat. Stir in broccoli.
5. Scoop out cooked squash and place in a blender or food processor. Pour half of the chicken broth in with the squash and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
6. Stir squash mixture in with meat, onions, and broccoli. Stir in remaining chicken broth. Stir in mushrooms. If desired, stir in heavy cream. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
7. Add spinach and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Note: I used broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach because that’s what I had in the fridge.